jdb的电子手机注册app-jdb电子游戏手机注册app载-apple app store-jdb手机电子排行榜-Study Abroad Financial Aid - The University of Tulsa

Study Abroad Financial Aid

If I study abroad, what will happen to my Financial Aid?

You will need to contact the Center for Global Education (CGE) Office to inform them of your interest in a study abroad program.

You will need to speak with your academic advisor well in advance of your intent to study abroad to ensure the study abroad courses and credits are approved for your academic program.

Enrollment in a study abroad program/visiting student program, approved for credit by TU, will have enrollment at TU for purposes of applying for federal financial aid. TU will be considered the home school and will be responsible for processing federal financial aid.

After a decision has been made on your study abroad program, you and a staff member from the CGE office will complete a CGE Study Abroad Budget Form.  The form will be electronically submitted to Student Financial Services from the CGE Office.

The CGE Study Abroad Budget Form is only beneficial for federal student loan and private loan eligibility.  Financial aid and scholarships can only be applied to a study abroad semester(s) for a student who is seeking their first degree. TU scholarships are not available for a summer semester.  Note: If the student will be applying for Tuition Benefit, only one semester of a study abroad program is covered by Tuition Benefit.  TU faculty led programs are not covered by Tuition Benefit.

For all study abroad students, your next semester’s federal financial aid will not be released until the grades from the study abroad program are received and posted to the student’s TU academic transcript.  TU reviews the student’s Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) every semester which is why study abroad grades must be posted to the student’s TU academic transcript before federal financial aid can be released. This is an effort to remain in compliance with regulations associated with federal financial aid (see Satisfactory Academic Progress below).

Study Abroad/Visiting Student Form

As stated above, in addition to the CGE Study Abroad Budget Form, you will complete a Study Abroad/Visiting Student Form online by clicking on the following link:

Study Abroad/Visiting Student Electronic Form

The CGE Office will send Student Financial Services a list of all students who plan to Study Abroad within two weeks of the start of the classes.

You must have a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) on file to be considered for Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loans and a Direct Parent PLUS Loan. You must also be in good standing and making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) at the time of your study abroad application and before receiving federal financial aid (see Satisfactory Academic Progress below).

After your CGE Study Abroad Budget Form is electronically submitted by CGE to Student Financial Services, the form will be reviewed by your dedicated Financial Aid Counselor. If your total study abroad expenses exceed or are less than your TU Cost of Attendance (COA or budget) for the semester you plan to study abroad, those total expenses will replace the TU COA (or budget).

An increase in expenses increases the COA, which may increase your eligibility for federal student loans, if you have not been awarded the maximum amounts. If you have been awarded the maximum amounts on Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loans, a Direct Parent PLUS Loan and/or private loan would be the only alternative for funding. Should your financial aid award be revised, you will be notified through your TU email account.

After your financial aid has been awarded and you are ready to go study abroad, the CGE Office will contact the Bursar’s Office regarding the release of your funds to pay for your living expenses abroad. The Bursar’s Office can address any questions or concerns you may have regarding your balance and the refund process (i.e., how to set up direct deposit).  To know when to expect your loan money to apply to your student Bursar account balance, refer to the below Loan Disbursement Information.

While you are abroad, you should maintain a full time status; otherwise, you will have received funding you were not eligible to receive.  If this scenario happens, you could lose some of your funding, and it could result in you owing money to TU.

If you have questions or concerns about your federal financial aid and/or the required forms for study abroad, contact your dedicated Financial Aid Counselor or the Student Financial Services office.


  • Study Abroad Budget Form

    The Center for Global Education (CGE) Study Abroad Budget form will be completed with a CGE staff member and submitted to Student Financial Services. The student’s Financial Aid Counselor will review the CGE budget form and award the study abroad student.

    The CGE Study Abroad Budget Form will not increase your scholarship funding.  As a general rule, the scholarship, grant and loan funding you receive to attend TU will also apply to study abroad expenses. TU scholarships are not available for a summer semester.

    If you will be applying for Tuition Benefit, only one term of a study abroad program is covered by Tuition Benefit.  TU faculty led programs are not covered by Tuition Benefit.

    If you are awarded Federal Work Study (FWS) in your initial financial aid award and you plan to study abroad one of those semesters, you will need to accept the FWS for the semester you will not study abroad. FWS is awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis and if you decline FWS for the year, there is a good chance you will not get it back. If you plan to study abroad for the Fall, you will cancel the Fall, but accept the Spring award and vice-versa.

  • Satisfactory Academic Progress

    Due to federal regulations, all federal financial aid recipients receiving Pell Grant, SEOG, Federal Work Study, Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loans, and Direct Parent PLUS Loans must be reviewed at the end of each semester to ensure they are making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). Grades from the semester you went study abroad must be posted to your TU academic transcript, so that Student Financial Services can review for SAP.  For example, if you went study abroad for the Fall semester, Student Financial Services cannot release your federal financial aid for the Spring semester until your Fall study abroad grades are posted to your TU academic transcript.

  • Loan Disbursement

    Federal loan funds may be released no earlier than 10 calendar days prior to the first day of class based on a statement from the student’s study abroad program director confirming the student’s first day of class and; full-time enrollment in the program. If applicable, all federal loan funds will be disbursed in one disbursement, if the student’s study abroad program is for one semester.  However, if the student chooses to study abroad for a full academic year (Fall-Spring), the student will receive one disbursement per semester.

    Later, when the student’s Enrollment Verification Form (EVF) is sent to TU, the Registrar’s Office confirms the student’s full-time enrollment status. Should the student be enrolled less than full time, the federal financial aid is cancelled, and the student is responsible for the difference to the study abroad program.